Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Beet Roots

Growing up I hated milk, cooked carrots, tomatoes and beets. Saying that, I loved escargots, liver, smoked oysters and haggis. I have learned to drink milk (my parents bribed me with pet mice) and have been drinking it (moderately) ever since. Cooked carrots made by my father-in-law with a little butter, salt and pepper and cream turned me into a fan. Fresh tomatoes with basil and mozzarella is now one of my favorite salads. But the the biggest obstacle for me were the beets - I just didn't get it - they tasted too earthy, too dirty for me. And then I had a beet salad with pecans and Gorgonzola cheese and thought I had died and gone to heaven. Now, I am growing beet roots in my garden and cannot wait for them to break ground. I need to correct that last sentence - as of yesterday I was growing beets in my garden. Today, I went to check on them and they had all been pulled out of the ground by my gardener who thought they were weeds. Beets can't be grown overnight they can take up to 60 days to grow. I need to do two things, plant more beets and find a new gardener!

No comments: