Sunday, February 07, 2010

Crazazy


I have something for quilts. Actually, I have something for crazy quilts - those wacky looking bed covers that seem to have no pattern or design sense - but make me feel like home every time I see one. Sometimes, it's the silk and velvet that I love and other times it's the primitive embroidery - outlining each scrap of fabric. I've been looking at quilts since I was young. I looked at my aunt's collection, I looked at my mom's collection - I used to go look at Laura Fisher's collection on Bleecker Street. When we moved French General to Crosby Street, I used to walk home north towards Spring Street and look at Paula Rubenstein's collection of quilts, blankets and coverlets - she was the best in show back then. So now it's time to start designing quilts and all I can think of are the good old crazy quilts. I want to mix the old French hemp with the new Moda cotton and see what happens. I want to mix collections - and fibers. Is it possible that they can all live together? Although I feel like the newcomer on the block in the quilt world - I already want to break all the rules and start mixing it up. Slow and steady - stay calm and carry on - or go crazazy?!

9 comments:

Booklinks said...

I'm very curious. and hope for inspiration. I have a big pile rouenneries. I love your books
very much.Tanks for sharing your
lovely ideas

Have a nice day,Suzanne

Floss said...

I love crazy quilts, although the excesses of Victorian embellishment sometimes go too far for me. Last year I made a crazy patchwork cushion with our younger son, but we found that it was a bit vulnerable to little picking fingers once on the sofa! It was just too fascinating...

I can't wait to see what you create.

Suzanne said...

Of course it's possible to mix old with new. Especially since Moda has no new hemp and linen in their lines. I am BEGGING them to add a small group of solid hemp like and linen looking pieces to their lines. We so need those for texture to add to your collections. I am confident that the French grain sack look is here to stay for awhile and the weight and texture is so needed in our industry.

Jillayne said...

The best part of crazy quilting is that nothing has to be off limits... I made one years ago using cream and beige fabrics in both fine and textured cottons with various linens - with colour out of the picture the texture of the cloth really shines. Grey and taupe is my next one, inspired by your Rouenneries. But I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Janet said...

Hi Kaari: The sky's the limit as to how crazy you go - just remember that the more complex and decorated the piece is the more prone it is to an early decay and the more special care it will need. Basing it on a foundation fabric to which the pieces are sewn helps and a piece of batting is never used, I frequently see damask tablecloths used as the final backing. Predominately, crazy quilts were not used as bed coverings, but as throws - often over a favourite piece of furniture - ie a piano, or a fine sideboard - and were displayed in the more public areas of the house to show off needlework skills.
A similar technique - known as strip piecing was done onto a foundation using bits and pieces - scraps - of more mundane fabrics - these were used as "utility" bedcoverings. There has been a resurgence of this type of piecing due to the new fashionability of the waste not want not ethos.
I'm eager to see what you come up with as I too am sitting on a nice little stash of Rouenneries.

Sharon Stanley said...

You must go crazy! The crazier the better...think of the fabric you can use....aaaaahhhh

molly said...

CRAAAA- ZAAZY!

omg, you're a quilter!

Michelle Rose Jorgensen said...

I would loooove to see how Kaari goes crazazy! Go for it - I can't wait to see what you do!

Michelle Marie
ha, and you thought my middle name was Rose.

Cheryl said...

Ha! Go crazazy Kaari ~ then you must share your crazy results.
waiting in anticipation....
Cheryl