Sunday, May 02, 2010

Crafting in St Louis

I just returned from a wonderful four days in St Louis, where I taught two different classes at Mary Englebreit's Home Companion Workshops. The weekend was filled with old and new friends - including some of my favorite people and some friends I hadn't seen in years. I taught a jewelry class and a millinery flower class and both went well - the students came from all over the United States and all were eager to learn new techniques and skills. The jewelry class was based on a kit for a charm bracelet - easy enough. The flower class used all sorts of our prints from the Rural Jardin collection - each flower turned out unique and different - beautiful blooms! We all stayed at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel and enjoyed each other's company at a cocktail party Thursday evening and a fabulous lunch on Saturday afternoon. During the lunch, Margo Tantau moderated a discussion about the future of craft - the panel included Mary Englebreit, Dena Fishbein, Marcia Ceppos and Amy Butler. It was fascinating to hear how each got started in the creative world and where they are headed next. I love attending and teaching at these events - I learn so much and they give me the fuel I need to navigate my next steps. I also love running into the same people over and over - ever since I taught at Silver Bella last November, I have been lucky enough to get to know some of the women that are the faithful followers of craft - they travel all over (including France!) to learn from some of the best in the business. They are quietly creating their own network of women who create. Hats off to some of my favorites - Rachel, Meleen, Jemilla and the handful of others who have supported me and are always there to greet me when I arrive!

14 comments:

Dena Redfern said...

Hi Kaari, just wanted to tell you I already started working on the kit you gave me, I really enjoyed helping you out this past weekend. You are a wonderful teacher & a sweet woman. I checked out your website, very beautiful presentation. You will continue to do well. Looking forward to working with you next year, if you come to St. Louis again. Best wishes to you. Your temporary assistant Dena Redfern , from For Keepssakes Store Had Fun. Ps. the ladies in your classes enjoyed them very much. I did not hear any complaints.

Honey Lamb and I said...

Rachel looked adorable with her flower on her waist! It was so much fun and my flowers made your blog:)! I loved learning to make jewelry. Thanks for the classes and I hope to take another. Truly, Shelley O.

Robin Thomas said...

I hated to miss it but heard you classes were, as always, a pleasure. You are clearly doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing. I will look forward to next time...

True North Interior Design & Antiques said...

So fun to see the many flowers! I just got your new book and want to try the flower with some of my shir linens, and the button bracelet etc!!! :>
What a great group of women together. So sorry that I missed it.How would I have know about this event so that I could have attended?
The flower worn as a belt - adorable!
Check out by blog to see the "where women create" room that I just did for a designer showhouse, inspired by YOU!
www.vandaff.blogspot.com
CJ

Funky Kim said...

I had the most wonderful time meeting you and making my flower! I hope to participate in more of these crafting events in the future!

Much love,
Kim Funk

Anonymous said...

I too love that you are teaching! I took your classes at Silver Bella last year and have not stopped talking about it since. You are very inclusive with your teaching style and your patience with someone who had never made jewelry before was admirable! Have you ever thought about teaching on television so everyone could enjoy your talents?
A true fan-
Stephanie

Sharon Stanley said...

oh to be closer...

Maija said...

People follow you because you rock Kaari!! Come be my friend on my blog and enter a giveaway!
www.maigirlz.typepad.com

Rachel said...

Thanks Kaari! It was great to see you, and I am loving my flowers. Next up - FRANCE!! Can't wait.

Unknown said...

Kaari,
Thanks so much for the wonderful classes in St. Louis. My daughter and I made another bracelet last night and a flower-making session with friends is on the horizon. Your new fabric line for Moda is simply wonderful and I wish you all the best. Hope to see you at another workshop in the future!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry we missed you in St Louis. We were hosting a huge Kentucky Derby party for my mother and didn't get a chance to stop in. Maybe next time, Susan and Lily Sullivan.

P.S. I hope you liked the Chase, its my mom's old neighborhood. She grew up on Kingsbury Place.

Michelle Rose Jorgensen said...

Didn't I meet her at Silver Bella?

Judy Grubbs said...

Thanks for the great classes in St. Louis. I love my bracelet and my flower pin. It was lovely to meet you and hope to take another class from you somewhere soon.

Mitzi Curi said...

I just love your fabric flower designs. I've been obsessed with flower embellishments and have created a variety this year. I'm going to have to try my hand at one similar to yours next. The bold patterns are really great!