Monday, January 21, 2013

For the Love of Jack!

A few months ago, a husband and wife walked into the shop and the wife started shopping for all the little bits and pieces that inspired her.  The husband and I started up a conversation and, before long, he told me that he had been diagnosed with an aggressive cancer and was being treated in Los Angeles at City of Hope, one of the best cancer care centers in the United States.  We connected on our cancer stories and eventually Jack and Sandy had invited me to come up and visit them someday at their loft in Oakland.  We saw each other again at Spellbound, they drove over to the hotel to see the market place and they let me know that Jack was back at City of Hope for treatment - which could last as long as three months.  This past week at our Art of Craft event, Sandy came to a class and told us that, if everything went well, Jack would be released by the end of January and they would be headed back home to Northern California.
So, all of this got me thinking...about Jack...about others who are struggling with cancer right now and how easy it is to go about our regular life not knowing what people struggle with everyday during their cancer treatment.  It is not a walk in the park - it is debilitating to say the least.
So, we thought we would spread the love a bit and set up a Valentine card making table at French General.  For the next couple of weeks,  we invite you to bring yourself, friends and your kids to come in and create a lovely note of love for someone at City of Hope.  Filled with all the beautiful fixings and tools, our Valentine making table will be set up through Saturday, February 9th.  We will then deliver all of the hand-made cards to City of Hope in honor of our friend Jack.
 If you are unable to join us at French General, but would still like to be a part of our Valentine delivery to City of Hope, please send your card to us by February 9th.  Our address:

French General
2009 Riverside Drive
Los Angeles, California 90039

Thank you for your creativity and thoughtfulness!

19 comments:

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Kaari - you touched my heart with this post. Thank you. What a wonderful gesture.

Karen

Gina said...

I know Jack and Sandy and Northern California can't WAIT to have them home. What a lovely tribute! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful heartfelt post Kaari. What a wonderful and caring gesture. You are absolutely my favourite designer! All the best, Ann

becky up the hill said...

Such kindness.

Anonymous said...

I love this sweet gesture! It's amazing what a card can do to make a person's day!

Julie B.

Amy Jepson said...

Such sweetness, and a wonderful idea, I am coming!

Lee said...

A lovely idea!

Danielle Muller said...

i just love you kaari...

this touched my heart today...

xoxo, danielle

Phyllis in Minnesota said...

You are a real gem!!

Maureen said...

Love this! Card on the way!

Unknown said...

xxxxx

jack said...

Dear Kaari
I am humbled and in tears. What a thoughtful gesture which will give a great deal of happiness and hope to those at City of Hope going through the process that allowed me to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sharing your experience with me gave me hope to look ahead at a healthy future.
Sandy and I are so lucky to have you as a friend and we truly cherish our relationship! We cannot wait for your visit up north.
Lots of love and a big hugs
Jack

Anonymous said...

I am always impressed by the emotion and love you bring to this blog. I have started making up a handful of cards and will send them off to you in the next week.

Jack, aren't you the blessed one!

Jackie

KarenB said...

What a great idea! Amy and I are coming on Thursday! See you then!

nan selover said...

Stopped by last Saturday and met Jody, who was a wonderful hostess and helper. My sister and I shopped and each made a Valentine at the store for the hospital. We were probably there for 3 hours! So happy with the new hours as we live in central California. Can't wait to sign up for a class and bring friends. Thanks for a memorable visit on a beautiful day. Nan

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to send handmade cards.
They will make so many people smile- Mine are in the mail for you to bring. I loved making them for such special people.

Tours to Sri Lanka said...

This is a wonderful post kaari, you won my heart

Marlynne said...

So thoughtful of you! I hope you have many many cards to deliver!

Gabrielle Mader said...

oh what a wonderful thing you have done. Has a former breast cancer patient, {just passed my 3 year mark Jan 15th} of City of Hope I bet the patients were thrilled!! Muchas Gracias